Congratulations to the CLASS of 2012 - The CBC Radio 3 Bucky Award winners.
Hottest Pipes (Best Vocal Performance) - Hannah Georgas "Robotic"
- We first saw Georgas more than two years ago. That she's back on the Bucky radar with her second (self-titled) album is proof there's no such thing as a sophomore curse.
#socialbutterfly Social Media Award - Said the Whale
Most Watchable Song (Best Video) - Said The Whale "We Are 1980"
- They might be 1980, but 2012 was a whale of a year for the Bucky awards. STW played both sides of the border in April, touring in support of their second full-length album, Little Mountain.
- We were pulling hard for Loon Choir, who are rookier than The Elwins (formed in 2007). But we remember liking The Elwins' set at NXNE 2011.
- Mother Mother was the very first Canadian indie band one of us saw live (at St. Andrews Hall in Detroit, touring with Sam Roberts). They opened with "Hayloft." Quite the intro.
- We're so glad we had the opportunity to see them perform in 2011. Thanks for the music, Alexei and Dan, and all the best.
- Shoot, pout pout pout pout, we were pulling for Shout Out Out Out Out.
- Hey! Someone we voted for actually won! We love this guy.
- Well-deserved recognition for the original doot doola doot doo dynamo.
Golden Bucky (Song of the Year) - Joel Plaskett "Lightning Bolt"
- Although "Bolt" isn't our favourite Plaskett song, his performances at this year's Home County Music & Art Festival made us fans, through & through & through.
- We can't think of anyone we'd rather pass our tiaras to than CMac. Welcome to the FOTY ranks! Love ya.